Isaiah 7:14,9:6-7,Luke 1:26-38,2:1-20
- Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin
shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
- 1 Immanuel means God is
- For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
- Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,
on the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish it and to uphold it
with justice and with righteousness
from this time forth and forevermore.
The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this.
- 1 Or is upon
- 2 Or is called
- In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city
of Galilee named Nazareth,
- to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was
Joseph, of the house of David. And the virgin's name was Mary.
- And he came to her and said, "Greetings, O favored one, the Lord
is with you!"
- But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and tried to discern
what sort of greeting this might be.
- And the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have
found favor with God.
- And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and
you shall call his name Jesus.
- He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And
the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David,
- and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom
there will be no end."
- And Mary said to the angel, "How will this be, since I am a virgin?"
- And the angel answered her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you,
and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to
be born will be called holy--the Son of God.
- And behold, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived
a son, and this is the sixth month with her who was called barren.
- For nothing will be impossible with God."
- And Mary said, "Behold, I am the servant of the
Lord; let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from
- 1 That is, legally pledged to be married
- 2 Some manuscripts add Blessed
are you among women!
- 3 Greek since I do not know a man
- 4 Some manuscripts add of you
- 5 Greek bondservant; also verse
- In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the
world should be registered.
- This was the first registration when Quirinius
was governor of Syria.
- And all went to be registered, each to his own town.
- And Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the town of Nazareth,
to Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was
of the house and lineage of David,
- to be registered with Mary, his betrothed, who
was with child.
- And while they were there, the time came for her to give birth.
- And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in swaddling
cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the
- And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping
watch over their flock by night.
- And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the
Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear.
- And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you
good news of a great joy that will be for all the people.
- For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who
is Christ the Lord.
- And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in
swaddling cloths and lying in a manger."
- And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly
host praising God and saying,
- "Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!"
- When the angels went away from them into heaven, the shepherds
said to one another, "Let us go over to Bethlehem and see this thing that
has happened, which the Lord has made known to us."
- And they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby
lying in a manger.
- And when they saw it, they made known the saying that had been
told them concerning this child.
- And all who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them.
- But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart.
- And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all
they had heard and seen, as it had been told them.
- 1 Or This was the registration
- 2 That is, one legally pledged to
- 3 Some manuscripts peace, good
will among men